Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

His Name is Benny, the Phoenix Rooster


We ended up adopting a rooster.  I wasn't really sure if we needed one or really wanted one.  I heard so many stories of people getting spurred by roosters that were so aggressive.  Yikes!  But the person that gave him to me assured me he was not like that.  The reason she wanted to get rid of him was because he was constantly being picked on by the other roosters she owned.  He was always kept in his own small cage and couldn't come out because he would get attacked.  She felt bad that he couldn't roam free in the yard like all the other birds she had.  So I took him in and we named him Benny. 
 
We were all so afraid of him just as much as he also was so afraid of us.  The spurs on his legs looked very scary.  My husband and kids kept saying that maybe we should send him back where he came from.  But I wanted to at lease give him a chance. When we got Benny he was already about a year and a half old.  We were so used to our chicken which was hand tamed since she was just a baby chick. 


We put him in the chicken run with our other chicken and he got really nervous and climbed the ramp and hid inside the coop.  Benny spent a whole week in the coop and didn't want to come down.  I had to keep bringing him food and water and placing it in the coop.  I was worried that he might not every come down.  I wasn't sure if he was just having a hard time getting down the ramp or if he was just plain scared.

Finally after a whole week he gradually started to come down and socialize with the other chicken.  He eventually got used to being around us.  And we got used to being around him.  He turned out to be the sweetest rooster ever!  When we pick him up he doesn't even struggle to be put down.  He gets along so well with Ellie, our Buff Orpington chicken.


I am trying to figure out if Benny is a Silver Duckwing Phoenix Bantam Rooster, or a Silver Duckwing Brahma Rooster, or a Silver Gray Dorking Rooster, or just a Silver Phoenix Rooster.  His tail feathers are black with a beautiful green color.  And has a single comb.  I am so glad we decided to keep him.  I just hope the neighbors are too.....

No comments:

Post a Comment